The Rotkeil Severum: A Popular and Eye-Catching Fish for Aquarium Enthusiasts
Aquarium enthusiasts have long been fascinated by the Rotkeil Severum, also known as the Red Shoulder Severum. Here are some interesting facts about this captivating fish:
- Belonging to the Cichlidae family, which also includes Angelfish and Discus, the Rotkeil Severum has secured its popularity among other aquarium fish.
- The Rotkeil Severum has a striking appearance highlighted by its dark brown or black body and distinctive red markings on its shoulders.
- This fish is native to South America, specifically the Amazon River basin and its tributaries.
- Reaching up to 8 inches in length, the Rotkeil Severum is considered a medium-sized fish.
- Despite its size, this fish is peaceful and can coexist well with other non-aggressive fish. However, it may become territorial during breeding season.
- The Rotkeil Severum prefers a tank setup with plenty of hiding places such as rocks, caves, and plants. It also appreciates a sandy substrate and slightly acidic water conditions.
- As an omnivorous species, this fish will eat a variety of foods including flakes, pellets, frozen or live foods, and even vegetables like blanched spinach or zucchini.
- With proper care, the Rotkeil Severum can live up to 10 years or more in captivity.